Ten places for lunch for ten bucks or less, because I get it. It’s costs a fortune to live here and I’m trying to help you find a good deal on something, even if it’s just your lunch. And none of them are fast food… well, not really. Did you know that if you order your lunch to go, you don’t have to pay sales tax. Take it back to your office, eat in your car or find a park. I think it’s totally worth saving 9%.
1. Masa Sushi: On the corner of Castro and Church. They have lunch specials that include 3 pieces of nigiri and 7 pieces of sushi roll, a small serving of seaweed salad and a soda for $9.75. There are always construction workers having lunch here and I trust their judgment. 650 Castro Street, #180, Mountain View.
2. Dumpling Garden: At the corner of Central Expressway and Rengstorff. Six pieces of XLB Shanghai Soup Dumplings are $6.99. A little bit more substantial lunch would be the Chicken and Spinach Dumplings for $9.49. This place is owned by a family that owns other bay area dumpling restaurants, so they should know what they’re doing. 108 N Rengstorff, Mountain View.
3. Clarkes Burgers: The lunch special is a Clarkes burger and fries for $9.50. Or you can get a Special BBQ Rib sandwich, fries and medium drink for $10.25, but the whole point of this article is that your lunch will cost 10 bucks or less, so that last one only works if you really want to splurge. A classic Mountain View institution, since 1945. Online ordering available. 615 W El Camino Real, Mountain View.
4. Posh Bagel: The most delicious thing on the whole menu is the bagel sandwich with sliced lox, cream cheese and it’s $8.95.I always ask for extra capers. The Posh Bagel on Castro recently closed, but the one on Grant road is open and awesome. Online ordering available. 1040 Grant Road, #185, Mountain View.
5. Sajj Mediterranean: Sometimes nothing but Mediterranean food will satisfy your craving and a Chicken Shawarma is exactly what you’re looking for. It’s 10 bucks and online ordering is available. In the Village at San Antonino, Mountain View.
6. The Sandwich Spot: Seriously delicious sandwiches and almost everything is under 10 bucks. One of the most popular items is their Spartan sandwich, which is turkey, cranberry and cream cheese for $9.49. 123 E El Camino Real, Mountain View.
7. Veggie Grill: I absolutely love this place, at anytime of the day. The “pick a pair” is $9.75 and gives you the opportunity to try more than one item. I like the buffalo wing wrap and kale salad as the two items. If you feel like splurging, get the cucumber mint limeade. Order ahead via their app. 565 San Antonion Road, #26, Mountain View. In the corner, next to Starbucks.
8. Zareens: I must admit, I had not heard of this place before I started writing this article, but I have some incredibly reliable sources around town and someone told me to check this place out. The chicken tikka burrito wrap is 9.59 and this place is just down the street from Shoreline Park. Sounds like the perfect picnic to me. 1477 Plymouth Street #C, Mountain View.
9. La Bamba: A regular burrito is only $7.82 and it’s easy to park. That’s really all I want, good food, a parking spot and a convenient location. 580 N Rengstorff, Mountain View. Online ordering available.
10. Pho to Chau: Vietnamese on Villa. I like that they put more meat than you would expect in a bowl of pho and that they have fillet mignon pho on the menu. When you go for lunch on a weekday, there always seems to be lots of city employees here. If you consider the fact that there are probably 100 restaurants within walking distance of city hall, that says something. 853 Villa Street, Mountain View.
And there you have it. Ten places for lunch, nothing glamorous, just a seriously good meal. Enjoy your lunch.